娜塔丽·波特曼2015哈佛毕业演讲(4)

I went to a public high school on Long Island, Syosset High School. Ooh, hello, Syosset!

我高中是在长岛一家公立学校,Syoseet高中,哦,你好啊,Syoseet!

The girls I went to school with had Prada bags and flat-ironed hair.

我们学校的女生都拿着Prada包,烫直了头发。

And they spoke with an accent I who had moved there at age 9 from Connecticut mimicked to fit in.

而他们的口音,是我这个9岁从康州搬来的女孩为了融入而一直在模仿的。

Florida Oranges, Chocolate cherries.

佛罗里达橘子,巧克力樱桃。

Since I’m ancient and the Internet was just starting when I was in high school.

因为我年纪太老,所以我上高中时互联网刚兴起。

People didn’t really pay that much of attention to the fact that that I was an actress.

同学都不太在意我演员的身份。

I was known mainly at school for having a back bigger than I was and always having white-out on my hands

我在学校出名是因为我的背包比我的人还大,而且我满手都是消正液,

because I hated seeing anything crossed out in my note books.

因为我不喜欢笔记本上出现划掉的痕迹。

I was voted for my senior yearbook ‘most likely to be an contestant on Jeopardy’ or code for nerdiest.

毕业年册中我被评为“最可能成为智力竞赛选手”的人,换句话说,就是最呆的书呆子。

When I got to Harvard just after the release of Star Wars: Episode 1,

《星球大战前传1》刚上映,我就来到哈佛读书,

I knew I would be staring over in terms of how people viewed me.

我知道我得重新建立别人对我的看法了。

I feared people would have assumed I’d gotten in just for being famous,

我害怕大家以为我只是靠名声才进了哈佛,

and that they would think that I was not worthy of the intellectual rigor here.

担心他们觉得我配不上这里严格的智力标准。

And it would not have been far from the truth.

其实真相也差不多如此。

When I came here I had never written a 10-paper before.

我来哈佛之前从没写过10页的论文。

I’m not even sure I’ve written a 5-page paper.

我都不知道自己写没写过5页的论文。

I was alarmed and intimidated by the calm eyes of a fellow student who came here from Dalton or Exeter

我被一位同学的淡定眼神刺激并吓坏,他是Dalton或者Exeter高中的名校生,

who thought that compared to high school the workload here was easy.

他说跟高中相比,哈佛的作业量是小菜一碟。

I was completely overwhelmed and thought that reading 1000 pages a week was unimaginable,

我是完全应付不来,我觉得一周读完一千页书是不可想象的,

that writing a 50-page thesis is just something I could never do.

而写出50页的论文是我永远都做不到的。

I had no idea how to declare my intentions. I couldn’t even articulate them to myself.

我完全不知道该怎样表达我的意图。我连跟自己说清楚都做不到。

娜塔丽·波特曼2015哈佛毕业演讲。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据