泰戈尔诗歌精选 (69)吉檀迦利64
On the slope of the desolate river among tall grasses I asked her, `Maiden, where do you go shading your lamp with your mantle?
在荒凉的河岸上,深草丛中,我问她:“姑娘,你用披纱遮着灯,要到哪里去呢?
My house is all dark and lonesome—lend me your light!’
我的房子黑暗寂寞--把你的灯借给我罢!”
she raised her dark eyes for a moment and looked at my face through the dusk.
她抬起乌黑的眼睛,从暮色中看了我一会。
I have come to the river, she said, to float my lamp on the stream when the daylight wanes in the west.’
“我到河边来,”她说,“要在太阳西下的时候,把我的灯飘浮到水上去。”
I stood alone among tall grasses and watched the timid flame of her lamp uselessly drifting in the tide.
我独立在深草中看着她的灯的微弱的火光,无用地在潮水上飘流。
In the silence of gathering night I asked her, `Maiden, your lights are all lit—then where do you go with your lamp?
在薄暮的寂静中,我问她:“你的灯火都已点上了--那么你拿着这灯到哪里去呢?
My house is all dark and lonesome—lend me your light.’
我的房子黑暗寂寞--把你的灯借给我罢。”
She raised her dark eyes on my face and stood for a moment doubtful.
她抬起乌黑的眼睛望着我的脸,站着沉吟了一会。
I have come,’ she said at last, `to dedicate my lamp to the sky.’
最后她说:“我来是要把我的灯献给上天。”
I stood and watched her light uselessly burning in the void.
我站着看她的灯光在天空中无用的燃点着。
In the moonless gloom of midnight I ask her, `Maiden, what is your quest, holding the lamp near your heart?
在无月的夜半朦胧之中,我问她:“姑娘,你作什么把灯抱在心前呢?
My house is all dark and lonesome—lend me your light.
我的房子黑暗寂寞--把你的灯借给我罢。”
She stopped for a minute and thought and gazed at my face in the dark.
她站住沉思了一会,在黑暗中注视着我的脸。
I have brought my light,’ she said, `to join the carnival of lamps.’
她说:“我是带着我的灯,来参加灯节的。”
I stood and watched her little lamp uselessly lost among lights.
我站着看着她的灯,无用地消失在众光之中。