名人演讲 :奥巴马任内末次白宫记者晚宴演讲(14)
They are here with us tonight:
他们今晚同我们一样来到了这里:
Sacha Pfeiffer, Mike Rezendes, Walter Robinson, Matt Caroll and Ben Bradlee Jr.
萨切,迈克,瓦特,迈特和小本,
Please give them a big round of applause.
请在场各位为他们鼓掌。
A free press is why, once again, we honor Jason Rezaian, as Carol noted.
新闻自由像Carol所说,是我们再次表彰Jason Rezaian的原因。
Last time this year we spoke of Jason’s courage as he endured the isolation of an Iranian prison.
去年这个时候我们说到Jason忍受伊朗监狱的勇气。
This year we see that courage in the flesh,
今年,我们看到了这位活生生的勇者,
and it’s a living testament to the very idea of a free press
他就是新闻自由的鲜活证明,
and a reminder of the rising level of danger and political intimidation and the physical threats faced by reporters overseas.
他也提醒我们,海外记者所面临的政治恐吓和人身威胁在升高。
And I can make this commitment that as long as I hold this office,
我在此做出保证,只要我还在任,
my administration will continue to fight for the release of American journalists held against their will.
我的政府就会继续为解救被强行关押的美国记者而努力。
And we will not stop until they see the same freedom as Jason had.
直到他们都能像Jason一样重见天日。
At home and abroad journalists like all of you engage in the dogged pursuit of informing citizens
国内和海外,都有像你们一样的记者,致力于向公民传播信息,
and holding leaders accountable, and making our government of the people possible.
让领袖对言行负责,让我们成为为人民服务的政府。
And it’s an enormous responsibility.
这是巨大的责任。
And I realize it’s an enormous challenge at a time when the economics of the business sometimes incentivizes speed over depth,
我意识到这也是巨大的挑战,因为如今经有时济追求快速不求深度,
and when controversy and conflict are what most immediately attract readers and viewers.
争议和冲突才最能抓住读者眼球。
The good news is there are so many of you that are pushing against those trends
好消息的,有如此众多的记者在反抗这一潮流,
and as a citizen of this great democracy, I am grateful for that.
作为这一伟大民主国家的公民,我感谢你们。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。