比尔盖茨夫妇于斯坦福大学(8)
I was so taken aback by what I saw that I had to ask myself,
亲眼所见的情形让我非常惊讶 我不得不问自己
did I still believe that innovation could solve the world's toughest problems?
我还相信创新能够解决世界上最困难的问题吗
I promised myself that before I came back to Africa,
我许下承诺 要在下次回到非洲之前
I would find out more about what keeps people poor.
更了解到底是什么导致了人们的持续贫穷
Over the years, Melinda and I did learn more about the pressing needs of the poor.
这些年来 我和梅琳达确实更了解了穷人的急切需求
On a later trip to South Africa,
在之后一次去南非的过程中
I paid a visit to a hospital for patients with MDR-TB,
我造访了一家治疗MDR-TB病人的医院
multidrug resistant tuberculosis,
MDR-TB也就是多耐药肺结核
a disease with a cure rate of under 50%.
这种疾病的治愈率低于50%
I remember that hospital as a place of despair.
我还记得 那所医院是一个充满绝望的地方
It was a giant open ward,
一个开放式的巨大病房中
with a sea of patients shuffling around in pajamas, wearing masks.
到处都是身着病服和口罩 拖着沉重步伐走动的病人
There was one floor just for children, including some babies lying in bed.
有一层楼专门容纳儿童病人 包括刚出生不久的婴儿
They had a little school for kids who were well enough to learn,
这里还有一所小型学校 为身体条件足够好的孩子们准备
but many of the children couldn't make it,
但很多孩子都没好转到能够上学
and the hospital didn't seem to know whether it was worth it to keep the school open.
医院不知道开这么一所学校 是否有些不值得
人物简介
本视频是比尔·盖茨和夫人梅琳达·盖茨在斯坦福大学2014年毕业典礼上的演讲。整个演讲以“乐观”为主线,强调了他们对科技的乐观态度,以及对世界美好未来的乐观态度。盖茨夫妇轮流讲述了自己的亲身经历和故事,告诉学生应该站在他人的立场上,感同身受那些处境不及自己的人,尽自己所能去帮助那些需要帮助的人,让全世界所有人类同胞都有一样的美好未来。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。
微信:0012133598196