四个四重奏:第32期 小吉丁(2)

It would be the same at the end of the journey,

到旅程的终点都一样,

If you came at night like a broken king,

如果你像一位困顿的国王夤夜而来,

If you came by day not knowing what you came for,

如果你白天来又不知道你为何而来,

It would be the same, when you leave the rough road and turn behind the pig-sty to the dull facade and the tombstone.

那都一样,当你离开崎岖的小径在猪栏后面拐向那阴暗的前庭和墓碑的时候。

And what you thought you came for is only a shell,

你原先以为是你此行的目的现在不过是意义的一层贝壳,

a husk of meaning from which the purpose breaks only when it is fulfilled

一层荚只要有什么目的能实现的话,目的才破壳而出。

If at all. Either you had no purpose

或者是你原先根本没有目的

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

或者是目的在于你是想象的终点之外

And is altered in fulfilment.

而在实现的过程中已经改变。

There are other places which also are the world’s end, some at the sea jaws,

另有一些地方也是世界的终点,有的在海的入口

Or over a dark lake, in a desert or a city –

或者在一片黑暗的湖上,在沙漠中或者在一座城市里——

But this is the nearest, in place and time,

但是在地点和时间上,这里是最近的地方,

Now and in England.

现在和在英格兰。

If you came this way,

如果你到这里来,

Taking any route, starting from anywhere,

不论走哪条路,从哪里出发,

At any time or at any season,

在哪个地方或哪个季节,

It would always be the same: you would have to put off sense and notion.

那都是一样:你必须抛开感觉和思想。

You are not here to verify,

你到这里来不是为了证明什么,

Instruct yourself, or inform curiosity or carry report.

教诲自己,或者告诉什么新奇的事物或者传送报告。

You are here to kneel where prayer has been valid.

你到这里来是到祈祷一向是正当的地方来俯首下跪。

And prayer is more than an order of words,

祈祷不只是一种话语,

the conscious occupation of the praying mind, or the sound of the voice praying.

祈祷者头脑的清醒的活动,或者是祈求呼告的声音。

And what the dead had no speech for, when living,

死者活着的时候,无法以言词表达的,

They can tell you, being dead:

他们作为死者能告诉你:

the communication of the dead is tongued with fire beyond the language of the living.

死者的交流思想超乎生者的语言之外是用火表达的。

Here, the intersection of the timeless moment is England and nowhere. Never and always.

这里,无始无终的瞬间的交叉点是英格兰,而不是任何其他地方。决不而且永远。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据