奥巴马每周电视讲话总统坦言美国当前在伊拉克的行动

This week, I authorized two operations in Iraq.

本周,我授权在伊拉克开展两项行动。

First, I directed our military to take action to protect our American diplomats and military advisors serving in the city of Erbil.

第一,我指示军队采取行动保护在埃尔比勒市工作的美国外交人员和军事顾问。

In recent days, terrorist forces neared the city.

最近几天,恐怖分子逼近该市。

Thursday night, I made it clear that if they attempted to advance further, our military would respond with targeted strikes.

周四夜里,我明确指出如果他们企图继续推进,我们的军队就实施定点打击。

That’s what we’ve done.

这就是我们已经做的。

And, if necessary, that’s what we will continue to do.

如果有必要,这也是我们将要做的。

We have Americans serving across Iraq, including our embassy in Baghdad, and we’ll do whatever is needed to protect our people.

我们的同胞在伊拉克全境服务,包括在巴格达的大使馆,我们将尽一切努力保护我们的同胞。

Second, we’ve begun a humanitarian effort to help those Iraqi civilians trapped on that mountain.

第二项是我们已经采取人道主义行动救助被困在山区的伊拉克人民。

The terrorists that have taken over parts of Iraq have been especially brutal to religious minorities

占领部分伊拉克领土的恐怖分子对宗教少数派极其残忍

rounding up families, executing men, enslaving women, and threatening the systematic destruction of an entire religious community, which would be genocide.

近乎灭门,杀死男人,奴役妇女,并且威胁消灭整个宗教社区,这就是种族灭绝。

The thousands—perhaps tens of thousands—of Iraqi men, women and children who fled to that mountain were starving and dying of thirst.

成千上万的伊拉克男人、女人和儿童逃到山区正在饥渴和死亡的边缘挣扎。

The food and water we airdropped will help them survive.

我们空投的食物和水将帮助他们度过难关。

I’ve also approved targeted American airstrikes to help Iraqi forces break the siege and rescue these families.

我还批准了美国军队的定点空袭来帮助那里伊拉克军队突围和营救这些家庭。

Earlier this week, one anguished Iraqi in this area cried to the world, There is no one coming to help.

本周早些时候,当地一个悲痛欲绝的伊拉克人对全世界哭喊,快来人救救我们吧。

Today, America is helping.

今天,美国伸出了援手。

The United States cannot and should not intervene every time there’s a crisis in the world.

美国无法也不愿意插手世界上的每一个危机。

But when there’s a situation like the one on this mountain—when countless innocent people are facing a massacre,

但是,一旦出现了类似在这个山区的情况-一旦出现了无数无辜的人们将被屠杀

and when we have the ability to help prevent it—the United States can’t just look away.

一旦我们有能力阻止这些发生的情况-美利坚合众国绝不会袖手旁观。

That’s not who we are.

我们不是那样的人。

We’re Americans. We act. We lead.

我们是美国人。我们挺身而出。我们领导全世界挺身而出。

And that’s what we’re going to do on that mountain.

这就是我们将在这个山区做的。

As one American who wrote to me yesterday said, it is the right thing to do.

正如一个美国人总统写给我的:这是正义之举。

As Commander-in-Chief, I will not allow the United States to be dragged into fighting another war in Iraq.

作为总司令,我不会让美国卷入另一场伊拉克战争。

American combat troops will not be returning to fight in Iraq, because there’s no American military solution to the larger crisis there.

美国作战部队不会重返伊拉克,因为那里的危机还没有大到只有美国的军事介入才能解决的程度。

What we will do is continue our broader strategy in Iraq.

我们将要做的是延续我们在伊拉克的全盘战略。

We will protect our citizens.

我们将保护我们的公民。

We will work with the international community to address this humanitarian crisis.

我们将与国际社会合作应对这场人道危机。

We’ll help prevent these terrorists from having a permanent safe haven from which to attack America.

我们将帮助防止这些恐怖分子获得永久的栖息地来攻击美国。

And we’ll continue to urge Iraqi communities to reconcile, come together and fight back against these terrorists

我们将继续敦促伊拉克各个团体和解,共同反击这些恐怖分子,

so the people of Iraq have the opportunity for a better future—the opportunity for which so many Americans gave their lives in Iraq in a long and hard war.

以使伊拉克人民有机会看到美好的未来-这个机会是那么多美国人在漫长艰苦的伊拉克战争中用他们的生命换来的。

Today, we salute our brave men and women in uniform—especially our courageous pilots and crews over Iraq.

今天,我们向我们英勇的男女军人们致敬-特别是我们在伊拉克的英勇的飞行员和机组人员。

They’re protecting our fellow Americans.

他们正在保护我们的同胞。

They’re helping save the lives of innocent people on a mountain—people who today know that there’s a country called America that cares for them, too,

他们正在营救那个山区的无辜的人们的生命–这些人们知道一个叫美国的国家也心系他们,

and that is willing to stand up—not just for our own security, but for the dignity and freedom that belongs to all people.

愿意挺身而出-不仅仅为了我们自己的安全,也为了所有人的尊严和自由。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据