埃文·斯皮格尔2015南加州大学马歇尔商学院毕业演讲(4)

I love this story because Bill de Kooning had the humility

我非常喜欢这个故事,因为比尔·德库宁很谦逊,

to recognize that the greatest thing we can do is provide the best possible foundation for those who come after us.

他认识到我们能做的最了不起的事情就是为后来者提供尽可能好的基础。

We must welcome our own erasure.

我们必须欢迎自己被赶超。

So I’m asked one question most often: “Why didn’t you sell your business?

别人最常问我的一个问题是:“你为什么不把你的公司卖掉?

It doesn’t even make money. It’s a fad.

它都不赚钱,只是流行一时的东西。

You could be on a boat right now. Everybody loves boats. What is wrong with you?”

卖掉它你现在就安稳了,谁都喜欢安稳。你是怎么想的呢?”

And I am now convinced that the fastest way to figure out if you are doing something that is truly important to you

现在我确信,要想弄清楚你正做的事情对自己是否真的重要的最快的方法,

is to find someone who offers you a bunch of money to part with it.

就是找到一个人,此人愿意出大价钱让你卖掉它。

So the best thing is that no matter whether or not you sell, you will learn something very valuable about yourself.

不管你卖不卖,你都会了解到有关你自身的非常重要的事。

If you sell, you will know immediately that it wasn’t the right dream anyways.

如果你卖了,你马上就会知道这无论如何也不是你真正的梦想。

And if you don’t sell, you’re probably onto something.

如果你不卖,你可能会有重大发现。

Maybe you have the beginning of something meaningful.

或许,你开创了某种有意义的事情。

But don’t feel bad if you sell out. Just don’t stop there.

不过,如果你把它卖了,也不要难过。一定不要止步不前。

I mean, gosh, we would have sold our first company, for sure. But no one wanted to buy it.

我的意思是,老天,我们本该卖掉我们的第一个公司。这一点确定无疑。但没有人想买它。

When we decided not to sell our business, people called us a lot of things besides crazy — things like arrogant and entitled.

当我们决定不卖掉我们的公司时,人们就会有各种说法–除了疯狂之外,还会说我们傲慢、权利意识太强。

The same words that I’ve heard used to describe our generation time and time again.

同样的词我以前也听过,一遍又一遍用来描述我们这代人。

The Millennial Generation. The “Me” Generation. Well, it’s true.

千禧一代。“自我”的一代。嗯,确实如此。

We do have a sense of entitlement, a sense of ownership,

我们的确有权利意识、所有权意识,

because, after all, this is the world we were born into, and we are responsible for it.

因为这毕竟是我们出生的世界,我们须对它负责。

埃文·斯皮格尔2015南加州大学马歇尔商学院毕业演讲

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据