梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲(6)
As for you graduates who already know what you’re doing next, who have it all mapped out, don’t be so sure.
对于那些已经知道接下来要做什么的毕业生,那些把一切都安排妥当的毕业生,你们也别那么肯定。
Life is famous for throwing curve balls when you least expect them.
大家都知道,生活常在最不经意的时候投给你一记曲线球。
My first big one came on a Friday afternoon.
我是在一个周五下午遇到的第一记难接的曲线球。
After about a year at WJAR, I’d decided, you know what, journalism might really be for me.
在WJAR工作大约一年后,我确定,你们知道吗,新闻工作可能真的适合我。
I was happily typing up a story when my news director called me into his office,
当我正在愉快地打一则新闻稿时,新闻总监将我叫到他办公室,
told me I didn’t have what it takes, and fired me.
对我说我不是搞新闻的料,然后解雇了我。
I drove to my family’s home, flung myself dramatically across my bed and sobbed.
我开车回到家,猛扑到床上哭了起来。
And that’s how my dad found me.
我父亲看到了这一切。
When I explained what had happened, he asked me one question, “Do you think you have what it takes?”
我跟他解释发生了什么,然后他问了我一个问题:“你觉得你是搞新闻的料么?”
I said “Yes.” To which he replied, “Then it doesn’t matter what anyone else says.
我说:“我是。”他回答说:“那就不要管别人怎么说。
There will always be people putting you down; always be people rooting for you to fail.”
总会有人贬低你,也总会有人等着看你失败。”
The following Monday, I went back to work and I confronted that little weasel — I mean my news director
接下来的周一,我回去上班,遇到了那只小黄鼬–我是说那位新闻总监,
and I told him I planned to succeed no matter what he thought.
我告诉他,不管他怎么想,我一定要成功。
I may have also pinned him up against the wall, like I said, he was little, but he gave me my job back on the spot.
我可能把他按到了墙上,就像我说的,他个头很小,但他立刻恢复了我的工作。
And that’s great that he did, but that’s not the point of the story.
他做得很对,但这并不是故事的重点。
The point is: You have to believe in yourself or no one else will.
重点是,你必须相信自己,否则别人不会相信你。
In order to swim, you have to drown out the naysayers.
要想去游泳,你必须先压过反对声。
You’re all smart, right, or you wouldn’t be here today.
你们都很聪明,没错,要不然你们今天就不会在这儿。
I imagine you all strive for success and will undoubtedly find it.
我可以想象,你们都在为了获得成功而努力奋斗,而且无疑都会成功。
But when you do, you just may discover it has nothing to do with how much money you make,
但当你们真的成功了,你们可能会发现,成功与你们赚了多少钱、
or how big a house you live in, or how prestigious your job might sound to someone else.
住多大的房子、你们的工作听来有多风光没什么关系。