梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲(5)

The fact is, your generation also has an entitlement problem.

事实是,你们这代人还有一个头衔的问题。

Fairly or not, a large number of businesses don’t wanna hire you

无论公平与否,很多企业都不愿雇用你们,

because they perceive you to be self entitled, lazy, high maintenance and disloyal.

因为在他们眼里,你们自认为有资格、懒惰、难伺候,而且不忠诚。

As a mother of three twenty something and host of a show where 30% of the staff are millennials, I know that’s bull.

作为三个20来岁孩子的母亲,以及一位30%的工作人员都是千禧一代的节目的主持人,我知道这都是废话。

I have met some kids who are full of themselves, but numbskulls span all generations, trust me.

我见过一些孩子,他们的确满脑子只想着自己。但是相信我,傻瓜每代人当中都有。

Most of the young people I know are incredibly hard working and extremely motivated.

我认识的年轻人大都十分努力,极具进取心。

As for loyalty, it’s a two-way street.

至于忠诚,这是一条双行道。

It used to be you worked for a company for 50 years before retiring with a sendoff dinner and a fancy gold watch.

以前你在一家公司工作50年,退休时,公司会为你办一场欢送晚宴,还送你一块昂贵的金表。

Somewhere along the way, employers began to see their employees as replaceable widgets.

多少年之后,雇主开始视员工为可替换的零件。

Maybe you’ve seen it happen to your mom or dad.

也许你们已经看到这种事发生在自己爸妈身上。

Maybe you’ve seen them struggle to balance home life with an inflexible work environment.

也许你们曾看到他们努力在家庭生活与僵化的工作环境之间寻求平衡。

Maybe you want something more, and I don’t blame you.

也许你们想要的更多,但我并不怪你们。

Companies can’t expect your loyalty unless they inspire it.

公司无法指望你忠诚,除非他们把你们的忠诚激发出来。

However, you’re not off the hook. There is still no substitute for hard work and humility.

然而,你们并没有摆脱责任。仍旧没有什么可以替代勤奋和谦卑。

And if you want to get your foot in the door,

如果你们想迈出第一步,

it helps to get your fingers off the smart phones, look people in the eye, engage.

就得把手指从智能手机上拿开,看着人们的眼睛,与他人接触。

You want people to actually like you, and not just give you “likes.”

你们希望人们真正喜欢自己,而不仅是给你们点“赞”。

Ultimately — those are the parents applauding — ultimately your future is in the hands of humans, not electronic devices.

归根到底–鼓掌的都是家长们–你们的未来掌握在人的手中,而不是电子设备。

Unless, of course, people like Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk and Steve Wozniak are right about artificial intelligence,

当然,除非像史蒂芬·霍金、埃隆·马斯克和史蒂夫·沃兹尼亚克这样的人把人工智能研究好。

in which case, we’ll all end up family pets to some android.

但在那种情况下,我们最终都将会沦为某种安卓系统的家庭宠物。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据