梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲(10)

It was a BU graduate student Lu Lingzi who lost her life along with two other innocent people

一个名叫吕令子的波士顿大学研究生,还有另外两名无辜的受害者,不幸丧生了,

on a beautiful April day in your sophomore year while simply watching the Boston Marathon.

就在你们大二那年一个美丽的四月天,就在看波士顿马拉松比赛的时候。

I doubt you will ever forget where you were when those two backpacks exploded a few miles from here and knocked a city to its knees.

我相信,你们永远不会忘记,当那两个背包在离这儿几英里处爆炸,让整个城市为之祈祷的时候,自己身处何地。

But the initial hurt and horror gave way to something much more powerful: Boston Strong.

但是最初的伤害和恐惧被更具能量的东西所取代:“坚强波士顿”活动。

You held each other for support and rose back up together.

你们手拉着手寻求支持,然后并肩站起来。

I may live in New York, but our city was a sea of Boston baseball caps in the weeks that followed.

我当时住在纽约,但在接下来的几周里,我们的城市也成了波士顿棒球帽的海洋。

And when the Red Sox clinched the World Series that fall, the entire nation cheered.

当那年秋天红袜队赢得美国职业棒球大赛冠军时,整个国家都欢声一片。

Yes, you bore witness to the worst of mankind, but you also experienced the best.

是的,你们看到了人类最糟糕的一面,但也经历了最好的一面。

And you will carry that with you forever.

而且你们将永远记住它们。

You learned what it means to be resilient, to stand side by side against any adversity.

你知道了什么是复原力,那就是肩并肩共同面对不幸。

You were part of Boston Strong, and it will always be part of you.

你们曾是“坚强波士顿”的一分子,这将永远成为你们生命的一部分。

So now you’re off, and I have a few final words of practical advice.

现在你们就快离开,我最后还有一些实用的建议。

Don’t ever lose your enthusiasm. Don’t suddenly become self conscious.

永远不要失去你们的热情。不要突然变得敏感。

Don’t be that person who puts on a suit and takes off his glasses like this mid sentence because he thinks it makes him look smart.

不要做那种穿着西装,像我这样话说到一半时摘掉眼镜的人,以为那样看上去很聪明。

Trust me, unless you’re the incredible Ed Bardley, CBS correspondent Ed Bradley, who was really cool, or maybe a TV lawyer:

相信我,除非你是CBS记者埃德·布拉德利那样不可思议的人,他确实很帅,或者你是电视律师:

it looks good for them; with everyone else, it’s just affect

对他们来说,那样打扮很好;而对其他人来说,都只是装。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据