TED演讲:为什么要跟别人一样?(7)
I was in Congo in February,
二月份的时候我在刚果,
dancing and celebrating with women who’ve survived the destruction of their selves in literally unthinkable ways
与那些自我曾遭受难以想象的毁灭的女人们一起跳舞庆祝,
destroyed because other brutalized, psychopathic selves all over that beautiful land are fueling our selves’ addiction to iPods, Pads, and bling,
因为在那片美丽的土地上,那些被残酷对待的心理变态的自我正不断满足我们对于iPod以及iPad等光鲜事物的瘾,
which further disconnect ourselves from ever feeling their pain, their suffering, their death.
这些更进一步阻碍我们去感受她们的痛苦,她们的遭遇,她们的死亡。
Because, hey, if we’re all living in ourselves and mistaking it for life, then we’re devaluing and desensitizing life.
因为当我们都活在自己的世界里并以为这就是生活,那我们就是在贬低生活的价值,并且变得越来越迟钝。
And in that disconnected state, yeah, we can build factory farms with no windows,
在那样一个被隔断的状态里,我们可以建造没有窗户的工厂,
destroy marine life and use rape as a weapon of war.
破坏海洋生命,把强奸视为战争的一种武器。
So here’s a note to self: The cracks have started to show in our constructed world,
这有一个对自我的建议:在我们这个被构造的世界里已经开始出现裂缝,
and oceans will continue to surge through the cracks, and oil and blood, rivers of it.
海水将持续不断从裂缝中涌出,石油和鲜血汇流成河。
Crucially, we haven’t been figuring out how to live in oneness with the Earth and every other living thing.
关键在于我们尚未找出怎样与地球和万物一起生活在同一性中。
We’ve just been insanely trying to figure out how to live with each other — billions of each other.
我们一直在疯狂地寻找怎样和数十亿的其他人一起生活。
Only we’re not living with each other; our crazy selves are living with each other and perpetuating an epidemic of disconnection.
只是我们并非和其他人一起生活,是我们疯狂的自我和其他人一起生活,与他人的隔断也如同传染病一般蔓延。
Let’s live with each other and take it a breath at a time.
让我们生活在一起,歇一口气,慢慢来。
If we can get under that heavy self, light a torch of awareness,
如果我们能进入那沉重的自我,点燃一支觉察的火炬,
and find our essence, our connection to the infinite and every other living thing.
寻找我们的本源,我们和永恒以及万物的联系。
We knew it from the day we were born. Let’s not be freaked out by our bountiful nothingness.
我们从出生那天就知道的联系。我们无须因为大量的空虚而慌张。
It’s more a reality than the ones our selves have created.
相比于我们创造出的那些,这空虚更加真实。
Imagine what kind of existence we can have if we honor inevitable death of self,
想像我们能有怎样的存在方式,当我们正视自我不可避免的死亡,
appreciate the privilege of life and marvel at what comes next.
感恩生命的权利,惊异于即将到来的事物。
Simple awareness is where it begins. Thank you for listening.
这些都来自于简单的觉察。感谢聆听。
演员桑迪·牛顿讲述她是如何找到自己的“另一面”–先是作为一个在两种截然不同的文化中成长的小孩,然后作为一个饰演不同人物的演员。这是一场来自TEDGlobal 2011的温暖的、充满智慧的演讲。