TED演讲之败中求胜 试验 排除错误和万能神力(11)

It is dangerous for patients to recover from heart attacks at home.

让心脏病人在家康复是危险的。

They should be in hospital.” And there’s this uproar,

他们应该留在医院里。”这引起了一片哗然,

and all the doctors start pounding the table and saying, “We always said you were unethical, Archie.

医生们开始拍桌子,说道:“我们一直说阿奇,你这样做是不道德的。

You’re killing people with your clinical trials. You need to shut it down now.

你在用临床试验杀人,你应该立刻停止。

Shut it down at once.” And there’s this huge hubbub. Archie lets it die down.

马上停止。” 阿奇等这一阵大吵大嚷平息后,

And then he says, “Well that’s very interesting, gentlemen, because when I gave you the table of results,

说:“先生们,真是很有意思,因为当我给你们看结果的时候,

I swapped the two columns around. It turns out your hospitals are killing people, and they should be at home.

我互换了这两行资料,其实结果证明你们的医院在杀人,病人应该在家恢复。

Would you like to close down the trial now, or should we wait until we have robust results?”

你们还想让我停止试验呢,还是希望等我们得到更确切的结果?”

Tumbleweed rolls through the meeting room.

会议室安静下来。

But Cochrane would do that kind of thing.

阿奇喜欢做这样的事情。

And the reason he would do that kind of thing is because he understood it feels so much better to stand there and say,

他喜欢这么做的原因是,他知道大家更喜欢站在那里说:

“Here in my own little world, I am a god, I understand everything. I do not want to have my opinions challenged.

“在我的小世界里,我是上帝,我懂得一切,我不希望有人挑战我的观点。

I do not want to have my conclusions tested.”

我不需要有人来测试我的结论。”

It feels so much more comfortable simply to lay down the law.

简单地定下法则,让人感到更自在。

Cochrane understood that uncertainty, that fallibility, that being challenged, they hurt.

阿奇懂得那种不肯定,不可靠以及被挑战的感觉,他们感到受伤。

演讲简介:

经济作家提姆·哈福德研究复杂的系统,他在成功的事例中发现了意想不到的链接:它们都经历了试验和不断排除错误的过程。 在这个精彩的TEDGlobal 2011 演讲中,他呼吁我们接纳随机性并开始学会犯些有益的错误。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据