TED演讲:为什么要跟别人一样?(6)
And when I’m acting a role, I inhabit another self, and I give it life for awhile,
当我表演一个角色时,我进入了另一个自我,我在一段时间内赋予其生命,
because when the self is suspended so is divisiveness and judgment.
当自我被抑制时,它的多样性和判断也会一同被抑制。
And I’ve played everything from a vengeful ghost in the time of slavery to Secretary of State in 2004.
我出演过许多角色,从奴隶时代想要复仇的鬼魂到2004年的国务卿。
And no matter how other these selves might be, they’re all related in me.
无论这些角色是多么的不同,他们全都与我相连。
And I honestly believe the key to my success as an actor
我诚恳地认为,我作为一个演员能够成功的关键,
and my progress as a person has been the very lack of self that used to make me feel so anxious and insecure.
以及作为一个不断进步的人,是因为自我的缺失,这让我觉得非常焦虑和不安。
I always wondered why I could feel others’ pain so deeply, why I could recognize the somebody in the nobody.
我总是在想,为什么我能如此深切地感受到他人的痛苦,为什么我能辨认出一个被忽视的人。
It’s because I didn’t have a self to get in the way.
那是因为我没有一个自我挡在中间。
I thought I lacked substance, and the fact that I could feel others’ meant that I had nothing of myself to feel.
我想我缺少一种介质,我能够感受他人这个事实,说明我感受不到我自己。
The thing that was a source of shame was actually a source of enlightenment.
这曾经导致了我的羞愧,其实是给我启蒙的源头。
And when I realized and really understood that my self is a projection and that it has a function, a funny thing happened.
当我意识到并真正明白自我是一个投影,并有它自己的功能时,一件有意思的事发生了。
I stopped giving it so much authority. I give it its due. I take it to therapy.
我不再给我的自我过多的权利。我给它应得的回报 。带它去治疗。
I’ve become very familiar with its dysfunctional behavior. But I’m not ashamed of my self.
我已经非常熟悉自我的不正常运作了。但我并不为我的自我感到羞愧。
In fact, I respect my self and its function.
事实上,我尊重我的自我和它的功能。
And over time and with practice, I’ve tried to live more and more from my essence.
经过时间和练习,我不断尝试过一种顺从我的本源的生活。
And if you can do that, incredible things happen.
如果你能做到这一点,将会发生不可思议的事情。
演员桑迪·牛顿讲述她是如何找到自己的“另一面”–先是作为一个在两种截然不同的文化中成长的小孩,然后作为一个饰演不同人物的演员。这是一场来自TEDGlobal 2011的温暖的、充满智慧的演讲。