TED演讲:小国家的大想法–摒弃化石燃料(3)

That year, the country was coming out of civil war.

那年,哥斯达黎加刚从一场内战中解脱。

Thousands of Costa Ricans had died, and families were bitterly split.

成千上万的哥斯达黎加人死于战乱,一个个家庭支离破碎,人们流离失所。

And yet, a surprising idea won the hearts and minds:

然而,一个令人惊讶的想法得到了大家的支持:

we would reboot the country, and that Second Republic would have no army. So we abolished it.

我们要让国家重新繁荣起来,而且第二共和国将不会有军队。所以我们废除了军队。

And the president at the time, José Figueres,

当时的总统,何塞·菲格雷斯,

found a powerful way by smashing the walls of an army base.

还通过敲碎军队基地的墙壁来表达坚毅与决心。

The following year, 1949, we made that decision permanent in the new constitution,

接下来的一年,1949年,我们把这个决定写进了我们的宪法里,将它永久地保留下来,

and that is why I can tell you that story nearly 70 years later. And I'm grateful.

这也是为什么我能在将近70年后跟你们讲这段故事。我很感激。

I'm grateful they made that decision before I was born,

我很感激他们在我出生之前,做了这个决定,

because it allowed me and millions of others to live in a very stable country.

因为这个决定让我和百万名哥斯达黎加的百姓生活在一个非常安定的国家里。

And you might be thinking that it was good luck, but it wasn't.

你有可能觉得这只是好运气,但这并不是。

There was a pattern of deliberate choices.

这一切都是因为一系列经过深思熟虑的决定。

In the '40s, Costa Ricans were given free education and free health care.

在上世纪40年代,哥斯达黎加人可以免费上学,享受免费医疗。

We called that social guarantees.

我们把这些叫做社会保障。

By abolishing the army, we were able to turn military spending into social spending,

废除了军队,让我们能够把庞大的军事消费用在社会保障上,

and that was a driver of stability.

而这就是我们国家稳定的基石。

毋庸置疑,全球气候变化已成为人类面临的最大威胁,一个小国家应该为地球做些什么呢?

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据