TED演讲之说什么 你存钱的能力跟你用的语言有关?(2)

Holding down the right flank of the OECD, all the way on the other side, is Greece.

在图右侧的这些国家,最右边的是希腊,

And what you can see is that over the last 25 years,

我们看到在过去25年

Greece has barely managed to save more than 10 percent of their GDP.

希腊的国民储蓄率刚超过10%。

It should be noted, of course, that the United States and the U.K. are the next in line.

需要注意美国和英国紧随其后。

Now that we see these huge differences in savings rates,

现在我们看到存储比率的巨大差别,

how is it possible that language might have something to do with these differences?

但是语言跟这种差异有什么关系呢?

Let me tell you a little bit about how languages fundamentally differ.

让我告诉你语言之间的本质差异所在。

Linguists and cognitive scientists have been exploring this question for many years now.

语言学家和认知科学家已经研究这个问题很多年了,

And then I'll draw the connection between these two behaviors.

而我今天将会将这两种行为联系起来。

Many of you have probably already noticed that I'm Chinese.

你们可能注意到了我是华裔。

I grew up in the Midwest of the United States.

我在美国中西部长大。

And something I realized quite early on

我很小的时候就意识到了

was that the Chinese language forced me to speak about and — in fact, more fundamentally than that

中文在家庭关系的叫法–实际上更本质的

ever so slightly forced me to think about family in very different ways.

甚至在思维方式上都(跟英文)有很大的不同。

Now, how might that be? Let me give you an example.

怎么解释呢,我举个例子。

Suppose I were talking with you and I was introducing you to my uncle.

假设你我在聊天,提到了我的叔叔(uncle)。

You understood exactly what I just said in English.

你完全理解这个英文的意思。

If we were speaking Mandarin Chinese with each other, though, I wouldn't have that luxury.

但是如果我们用普通话聊天,我就头疼了。

I wouldn't have been able to convey so little information.

这里面传递的信息如此之多。

What my language would have forced me to do, instead of just telling you, "This is my uncle,"

我无法用中文告诉你这是我的“叔叔”,

is to tell you a tremendous amount of additional information.

而是会附加上更多的(家庭关系)信息。

My language would force me to tell you whether or not this was an uncle on my mother's side or my father's side,

如果用中文,我就要一并告诉你这个人是我爸爸这边的还是妈妈这边的

whether this was an uncle by marriage or by birth, and if this man was my father's brother,

是婚姻关系还是血缘关系;如果是我爸爸的兄弟,

whether he was older than or younger than my father.

年纪比我爸爸大还是比我爸爸小。

All of this information is obligatory. Chinese doesn't let me ignore it.

这些都是必须的,中文无法省略这些信息。

演讲简介

经济学家能从语言学家那里学到什么?行为经济学家基思·陈介绍了他的研究中发现的奇妙关联:没有区分将来时态的语言——“明天下雨”而不是“下明天的雨”——跟储蓄比例有很强的相关性。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据