TED演讲:来自阿拉伯女商人的成功经验(4)

Time stood still for a long while,

好长一会儿,时间彷佛静止了,

and all I could think and repeat in the chaos of my brain was:

而在混乱中,我脑中想的与重复的是:

“You can forget about that partnership, Leila.

你可以忘记那个伙伴关系,蕾拉。

It’s just never going to happen.”

这样下去不会有什么结果的。

It took me a couple of days to fully absorb this incident and its implications,

这让我花了几天去完全消化这件事与它的含义,

but once I did, I reached three conclusions.

但最后,我得到三个结论。

One, that these were his issues, his complexes.

第一,那是他的问题,他的病态心理。

There may be many like him in our society, but I would never let their issues become mine.

在我们的社会中存在着很多像他一样的人,他们的观点我绝不会苟同。

Two, that I needed another sponsor, and fast.

第二,我需要其他的支持者,而且要快。

I got one, by the way, and boy, was he great.

顺带一提,我找到了另一半,他真的很棒。

And three, that I would get to show John what women with children can do.

而第三,我要展示给约翰,有小孩的女人可以做什么。

I apply this lesson equally well to my personal life.

这个经验在我的个人生活中也是一样好用。

As I have progressed in my career, I have received many words of encouragement,

当我在职业上有进展时,我得到很多言语的鼓励,

but I have also often been met by women, men and couples

但我也常遇到一些女人、男人与夫妻,

who have clearly had an issue with my husband and I having chosen the path of a dual-career couple.

他们很明确地对我们夫妇选择双薪家庭的道路存有质疑。

So you get this well-meaning couple

所以你知道这些出于好心的夫妇

who tells you straight out at a family gathering or at a friends gathering,

在家庭聚会或是在朋友聚会直接了当地告诉你,

that, come on, you must know you’re not a great mom, given how much you’re investing in your career, right?

哎呀,你必须知道你不是个好妈妈,投资了多少在你的职业生涯,对吧?

I would lie if I said these words didn’t hurt.

如果我说这些言语不伤人,那我绝对在说谎。

My children are the most precious thing to me,

我的孩子是我最珍视的事情,

and the thought that I could be failing them in any way is intolerable.

而要我辜负他们的想法无论如何都是无法忍受的。

But just like I did with John, I quickly reminded myself that these were their issues, their complexes.

但就像我对约翰所做的,我很快地提醒我自己这些都是他们的问题,他们的自卑心态。

So instead of replying, I gave back one of my largest smiles as I saw, in flashing light, the following sign in my mind’s eye.

所以我不回答他们,只是回敬一个我最大的微笑,当时我看到,在闪烁的光芒下,在我脑海中的迹象。

Be happy, it drives people crazy.

要幸福快乐,让人们嫉妒疯狂吧。

在阿拉伯这个男权社会,女性往往被忽视甚至不平等对待。但即便在这种情况下,演讲者还是闯出了自己的一片天地,并和大家分享关于她的成功经验。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据