TED演讲之面对灾难:站在救灾前沿
WordPress数据库错误: [Got error 28 from storage engine]
SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS wp_posts.*, yarpp.score
FROM wp_posts join wp_yarpp_related_cache as yarpp on wp_posts.ID = yarpp.ID
WHERE 1=1 AND yarpp.score >= 1 and yarpp.reference_ID = 95861 AND wp_posts.post_type = 'post'
ORDER BY score DESC, wp_posts.ID ASC
limit 10
That was me in front of our house in Monson, Massachusetts last June.
那个就是我,在麻省的Monson,我们的房子前面,
After an EF3 tornado ripped straight through our town and took parts of our roof off,
一股EF3级龙卷风袭击了这里,掀翻了我们的屋顶
I decided to stay in Massachusetts instead of pursuing the master's program
我决定留在麻省,而不是去读硕士
I had moved my boxes home that afternoon for.
那个下午我已把经箱子搬回了家
So, on June 1st we weren't disaster experts, but on June 3rd we started faking it.
6月1号时我们还不是灾难专家,但从3号我们就假装是了
This experience changed our lives.
这段经历改变了我们的生活
And now we're trying to change the experience.
现在我们要努力去改变它
So tornadoes don't happen in Massachusetts.
龙卷风一般不会袭击麻省
And I was cleverly standing in the front yard when one came over the hill.
当时我正灵巧地站在前院,一个龙卷风从山丘上刮来
After a lamppost flew by, my family and I sprinted into the basement.
一个路灯杆在身边飞过,我和家人迅速冲进了地下室
Trees were thrown against the house, the windows exploded.
树木呗吹向房子,砸碎玻璃
When we finally got out the back door, transformers were burning in the street.
当我们终于从后门出去的时候,一些多变压器在街上燃烧
So I was here in Boston.
我当时就在波士顿
I'm a PhD student at MIT, and I happen to study atmospheric science.
我是一个MIT的博士生,我碰巧是学大气环境科学的
Actually it gets weirder.
巧合还不止这些
So I was in the museum of science at the time the tornado hit, playing with the tornado display.
龙卷风来袭的时候,我在科学博物馆玩模拟龙卷风的仪器
So I missed her call.
所以我没接到她的电话
So I get the call from Caitria, I hear the news,
Caitria给我打来电话,告诉了我消息,
and I start tracking the radar online to call the family back when another supercell was forming in their area.
于是我开始在网上观察雷达图像,当又一个漏斗云形成的时候,叫家里人回去
And I drove home late that night with batteries and ice.
之后我带着电池和冰块连夜开车回家
We live across the street from an historic church that had lost its very iconic steeple in the storm.
我家对面是一个老教堂,它标志性的尖顶被大风吹走了
It had become a community gathering place overnight.
一夜之间成了附近居民的避难所
The town hall and the police department had also suffered direct hits,
市政厅和警察局也遭到破坏
and so people wanting to help or needing information went to the church.
因此需要帮助和消息的人们去了教堂
We walked up to the church because we heard that they had hot meals,
我们去了教堂,因为听说他们没饭吃
but when we arrived we found problems.
不过到了那儿却发现些问题
There were a couple large, sweaty men with chainsaws standing in the center of the church,
有几个汗津津的壮汉拿着电锯,站在教堂中间
but nobody knew where to send them because no one knew the extent of the damage yet.
但是没人知道让他们去哪里,因为还不知道破坏有多严重
And as we watched, they became frustrated and left to go find somebody to help on their own.
我们看着他们很沮丧地离开了,去找一些他们可以帮助的人
So we started organizing.
于是我们开始组织大家
Why? It had to be done. We found Pastor Bob and offered to give the response some infrastructure.
因为总得有人去做。我们找到了Pastor Bob,他主动去帮助修复基础设施
And then armed with just two laptops and one AirCard, we built a recovery machine.
之后带着两个笔记本电脑和一张AirCard (注:AirCard是一种无线网卡),我们组建了一个重建机器
That was a tornado, and everyone's heading to the church to drop things off and volunteer.
那是个龙卷风,每个人都去教堂去放下些物资,志愿帮助大家
Everyone's donating clothing.
每个人都在捐衣服
We should really inventory the donations that are piling up here.
我们应该把这些捐来的东西储存起来
Yeah, and we need a hotline. Can you make a Google Voice number?
没错,我们需要一条热线。你能不能弄个谷歌电话的号码
Yeah, sure. And we need to tell people what not to bring.
没问题。我们还需要告诉人们不该带什么
I'll make a Facebook account. Can you print fliers for the neighborhoods?
我去创建一个Facebook帐户,你能把那些传单打印出来吗?
Yeah, but we don't even know what houses are accepting help at this point.
好。不过我们不知到现在哪些房子会接受帮助
We need to canvas and send out volunteers.
我们需要做个调查,然后派出志愿者
We need to tell people what not to bring.
我们需要告诉人们不要带什么
Hey, there's a news truck. I'll tell them.
看,那儿有个新闻车,我去告诉他们
You got my number off the news?
你是从新闻上看到我号码的?
We don't need any more freezers.
我们的冷柜已经够用了
The insurance won't cover it? You need a crew to tar your roof? Six packs of juice boxes arriving in one hour?
保险公司不赔偿这个? 你需要一队人去重新刷你的房顶? 六箱果汁还有一小时就到?
Someone get me Post-its!
谁帮我把便利贴拿来!
And then the rest of the community figured out that we had answers.
后来其余的邻居们发现我们心里有数
I can donate three water heaters, but someone needs to come pick them up.
我可以捐3个热水器,不过需要有人来把它们拿走
My car is in my living room.
我的车在客厅里
My boyscout troop would like to rebuild 12 mailboxes.
我的童子军能做12个邮箱
The puppy's missing, and insurance just doesn't cover the chimneys.
有只小狗不见了,保险公司不担保烟囱
My church group of 50 would like housing and meals for a week while we repair properties.
我50人的教堂小队能在大家重建家园时,提供一周的住所和食物
You sent me to that place on Washington Street yesterday, and now I'm covered in poison ivy.
你昨天把我送到华盛顿街的那个地方,现在我浑身都是毒葛
So this is what filled our days.
这些充实了我们的日子
We had to learn how to answer questions quickly and to solve problems in about a minute or less,
我们必须学会如和快速找到方法,然后在1分钟内解决问题
because otherwise something more urgent would come up, and it just wouldn't get done.
否则会出现更紧急的情况,于是问题永远解决不了
演讲简介:
在自然灾害来临时,人们很少有机会可以在世界转移注意力之前有效组织重建力量.。谁应该为救灾负责??当一场强大的龙卷风袭击了他们的家乡,虽然分别只有20岁和24岁,O'Neil家的姐妹Caitria和Morgan挑起重担,同时教育人们如何自救。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。
微信:0012133598196