TED演讲之面对灾难:便宜、高效的救灾避难所(3)

Now, this quickly, my day job sent me to work out of our Milan office for a few months,

很快,因为日常工作的缘故,我会有几个月不在米兰,

so I was like, what will I do?

有时候会迷惘,我要去做些啥啊?

So I actually scheduled sleep on my calendar,

而实际上我忙着调整我的睡眠时间呢

and spent the 8-hour time difference on conference calls

把多出来的8个小时时差用在联系

with material suppliers, manufacturers and potential customers.

那些供应商,制造商和潜在客源的电话会议上

And we found through this whole process, we found this great little manufacturer in Virginia,

在这过程中,我们找到了位于弗吉尼亚的这个伟大的小制造商,

and if his body language is any indication,

如果说他的肢体语言是想说明什么的话

that's the owner of what it's like

就是老板,那他的样子就形象的再现了

for a manufacturer to work directly with a designer,

当制造商和设计师共事的时候,会是一副怎样的场景

you've got to see what happens here.

正如你们现在所看到的这样。

But G.S. Industries was fantastic.

不过G.S.工业公司实在是太棒了

They actually built three prototypes for us by hand.

他们为我们做出了3个手工的模版

So now we have prototypes that can show that four people

我们现在有了模版,能容纳四个人

can actually sleep securely and much more comfortably than a tent could ever provide.

还提升了睡觉的安全度和舒适度,这比帐篷可好多了

And they actually shipped them here to Texas for us.

他们还为我们把模版装运到了德克萨斯州

Now, a funny thing started happening.

接着,有趣的情形出现了

Other people started to believe in what we were doing,

其他人开始认同我们的所作所为

and actually offered us hangar space, donated hangar space to us.

给我们提供或捐赠机库以便工作

And then the Georgetown Airport Authority was bent over backwards to help us with anything we needed.

乔治敦机场官方还愿意帮忙,竭尽所能满足我们的任何需要。

So now we had a hangar space to work in, and prototypes to demo with.

现在我们有了工作的地方,还有了制造的样本

So in one year, we've negotiated manufacturing agreements,

接下来的一年内,我们又和制造商商议了生产协议

been awarded one patent, filed our second patent,

申请到了我们的一个专利,接着又申请了第二个

talked to multiple people, demoed this to FEMA

和很多人交流,向联邦应急管理局和他们的顾问展示产品样本

and its consultants to rave reviews,

联邦应急管理局的咨询师给了很高的评价

and then started talking to some other people who requested information,

之后又开始答复一些前来咨询的人

this little group called the United Nations.

联合国的这群家伙

And on top of that,

正是在名单的最上端

now we have a whole plethora of other individuals that have come up

联系我们的人实在是太多了

and started to talk to us from doing it for mining camps,

从矿区营地到移动青年旅舍

mobile youth hostels, right down to the World Cup and the Olympics.

甚至还有世界杯和奥运会

So, in closing, on this whole thing here

那么,在结束之前,我要说的是

is hopefully very soon we will not have to respond to these painful phone calls that we get

所幸我们很快就将不用再像原来一样,在灾难发生后,接到的令人痛心的电话

after disasters where we don't really have anything to sell or give you yet.

却只能告诉他们我们现在还没有现成的东西帮助你。

Hopefully very soon we will be there,

所幸我们很快就会达成目标

because we are destined, obsessed with making it real.

因为我们命中注定,而且执着于把它变成实现

Thank you.

谢谢大家。

演讲简介

Michael McDaniel 为受灾区设计用于救灾的避难所– 价格低廉,便于运输,甚至还有好看的外观—在发现没人愿意去建造这些房舍之后,怀着执着和着迷的心情,他决定自己来做这事。在TEDx奥斯汀大会上,McDaniel 像我们展示了他的应急住房解决机制,以及他是如何利用自己的空余时间和供应商,制造商共事 来为下一次自然灾害未雨绸缪的。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据