TED演讲之生与死:为生命的终结做好准备(2)

A plan involves answering

这个计划是能包含了回应的

straightforward questions about the end you want.

直接了当关于你想如何结束的问题

Where do you want to be when you're no longer independent?

如果你不能再独立,你希望自己在哪里?

What do you want in terms of medical intervention?

你希望医疗保护的干预么?

And who's going to make sure your plan is followed?

谁能让你的计划继续紧接着进行

You will need advocates.

你需要顾问

Having more than one increases your chance

拥有多个顾问增加了

of getting the end you want.

你获得想要的结果的可能性

Don't assume the natural choice is your spouse or child.

不要断然的说你的配偶和孩子是你最合适的选择

You want someone who has the time and proximity

你需要的是一个有时间和亲近感的人

to do this job well, and you want someone

如果你需要顺利的进行,你需要这样的人

who can work with people under the pressure

那些可以与有压力的人一起工作的人

of an ever-changing situation.

有着变化莫测的可能性

Hospital readiness is critical.

医院随时准备就绪很重要

You are likely to be headed to the emergency room,

你可能随时被带入急救室

and you want to get this right.

而你也希望准确无误的做到这一点

Prepare a one-page summary of your medical history,

所以,准备一页你的医疗病史

medications and physician information.

药物治疗,和医生信息

Put this in a really bright envelope

把这些放在一个很明显的信封里

with copies of your insurance cards, your power of attorney,

并一同放入你的保险卡,和委托书

and your do-not-resuscitate order.

与你不想要恢复的命令

Have advocates keep a set in their car.

把这些留一份给你的顾问

Tape a set to your refrigerator.

并把录像放入冰箱里

When you show up in the E.R. with this packet,

当你出现在急诊室,带着这样的包裹

your admission is streamlined in a material way.

你把许可用合法的文件合理化

You're going to need caregivers.

你将需要看护人

You'll need to assess your personality and financial situation

你需要评估你的人格和财政状况

to determine whether an elder care community

去决定你是否需要养老社区

or staying at home is your best choice.

或者呆在家里,是你最好的选择

In either case, do not settle.

不管哪种情况,都不要定下来

We went through a number of not-quite-right caregivers

我们看到过一些不太称职的看护

before we found the perfect team

在我们找到最好的团队之前

led by Marsha,

以Marcia领导的团队

who won't let you win at bingo just because you're dying

我们不会因为你将死去就敷衍了事

but will go out and take videos of your ranch for you

我们会将你所拥有的录成视频

when you can't get out there,

当你如果不能离开疗养院

and Caitlin, who won't let you skip your morning exercises

而Caitlin不过让你省略每天的晨练

but knows when you need to hear

但是知道什么时候你想听到

that your wife is in good hands.

你的妻子被照顾得很好

Finally, last words.

最后,遗言

What do you want to hear at the very end,

在生命的最后,你想听到什么

and from whom would you like to hear it?

想听谁说这些

In my experience, you'll want to hear

从我的经验来说,你想听到的

that whatever you're worried about is going to be fine.

是那些你担心的事情,都会好起来

When you believe it's okay to let go, you will.

当你真正的相信了,你就放下了,你会的

So, this is a topic that normally inspires fear and denial.

所以,这是一个关于鼓励恐惧与否定的话题

What I've learned

我学到的是

is if we put some time into planning our end of life,

如果我们有计划的规划人生的最后

we have the best chance of maintaining our quality of life.

我们会有最大的可能去维护我们生活的质量

Here are Jim and Shirley just after deciding

这是Jim和 Shirley,当他们决定了之后

who would take care of their ranch.

谁会照看他们的牧场

Here's Jim just a few weeks before he died,

这是Jim死之前的几个星期

celebrating a birthday he didn't expect to see.

意外的收获到了一个庆生会

And here's Shirley just a few days before she died

这是Shirley,她离去前的几天

being read an article in that day's paper

看到自己上了报纸

about the significance of the wildlife refuge

关于野生动植物避难所的重要性

at the Modini ranch.

在Modini牧场

Jim and Shirley had a good end of life, Jim

和 Shirley有了很好的结束

and by sharing their story with you,

在这里分享着他们的故事

I hope to increase our chances of doing the same.

我希望能大家也能有同样美满的结点

Thank you.

谢谢

演讲简介

当我们想到死亡的时候总是可怕的,但是提前准备是切实的,并且可以为临终前的安静留下足够的空间。在一个庄严并深思熟虑的演讲中,Judy MacDonald Johnston 分享了5个为美好的临终生活做计划的方法。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据