TED演讲 全球经济的隐形推动力—寄钱回家(1)

I live in Washington, D.C.,but I grew up in Sindhekela, a village in Orissa, in India.

我住在华盛顿特区但我是在新河克拉,印度奥里萨邦的一个小村庄长大。

My father was a government worker.

我父亲是个政府雇员,

My mother could not read or write, but she would say to me, A king is worshipped only in his own kingdom. A poet is respected everywhere.

我母亲不会读书写字,但她跟我说:国王只有在自己的王国里才被膜拜,而诗人走到哪儿都受到尊敬。

So I wanted to be a poet when I grew up.

所以我就想长大后成为一名诗人。

But I almost didn't go to college until an aunt offered financial help.

但是我差点没上成大学,直到一位姨妈出钱帮我。

I went to study in Sambalpur,the largest town in the region,where, already in college, I saw a television for the first time.

我去了萨姆巴尔普尔,当地最大的城镇读书。在那儿上大学的时候,我才第一次看到电视。

I had dreams of going to the United States for higher studies.

那时我梦想去美国接受高等教育。

When the opportunity came,I crossed two oceans, with borrowed money for airfare and only a 20 bill in my pocket.

后来机会来了,我借钱买了机票,横跨两个大洋,兜里装了二十元美金就来了。

In the U.S., I worked in a research center,part-time, while taking graduate classes in economics.

在美国,我一边在一家研究中心兼职,一边上经济学的研究生课程。

And with the little I earned, I would finance myself and then I would send money home to my brother and my father.

虽然挣得不多,我还是一边供自己上学,一边寄钱回家给我父亲和我兄弟。

My story is not unique.

我这样的绝不是唯一的。

There are millions of people who migrate each year.

每年有成百上千万的人移民。

With the help of the family, they cross oceans,

通过家人的帮助,他们跨越大洋,

they cross deserts, they cross rivers, they cross mountains.

沙漠,河流,或者山脉。

They risk their lives to realize a dream,and that dream is as simple as having a decent job somewhere so they can send money home and help the family,which has helped them before.

他们冒着生命危险去实现一个梦想。他们的梦想很简单,就是能有一份不错的工作, 让他们能寄钱回家,帮助他们的家人,那些曾帮助过他们的人。

There are 232 million international migrants in the world.

世界上有两亿三千二百万国际移民。

These are people who live in a country other than their country of birth.

他们生活在一个不同于他们出生地的国度。

If there was a country made up of only international migrants,that would be larger, in population,than Brazil.

如果有一个国家全部由国际移民组成,它的人口将超过巴西,

That would be larger, in its size of the economy, than France.

它的经济实力将超过法国。

Some 180 million of them, from poor countries,send money home regularly.

其中一亿八千万的移民来自贫穷的国家,他们按时寄钱回家。

Those sums of money are called remittances.

这些钱叫做移民汇款。

Here is a fact that might surprise you:

这样一个事实可能会让你大吃一惊:

413 billion dollars, 413 billion dollars was the amount of remittances sent last year by migrants to developing countries.

4310亿美元,去年一共有4310亿美元由移民们寄到发展中国家。

Migrants from developing countries,money sent to developing countries a 413 billion dollars.

来自发展中国家的移民,寄到发展中国家的钱,4310亿美元。

That's a remarkable number because that is three times the size of the total of development aid money.

这个数字相当惊人,它等于所有发展资助资金总和的三倍。

And yet, you and I,my colleagues in Washington,we endlessly debate and discuss about development aid,while we ignore remittances as small change.

但是,你,我,我在华盛顿的同事们,我们不停地争辩,讨论发展资助,却把移民汇款当作小钱忽略了。

True, people send 200 dollars per month,on average. But, repeated month after month,by millions of people,these sums of money add up to rivers of foreign currency.

确实,人们平均每月寄两百美元。但是,月复一月,成百上千万的人在寄,这些钱汇聚成一条条外币形成的河流。

So India, last year, received 72 billion dollars, larger than its IT exports.

印度去年收到了720亿美元,超过它的IT出口额。

In Egypt remittances are three times the size of revenues from the Suez Canal.

埃及收到的移民汇款达到苏伊士运河上贸易额的三倍。

In Tajikistan, remittances are 42 percent of GDP.

塔吉克斯坦,移民汇款占GDP的42%。

2013年,全世界的移民总计将4130亿美元寄回给家人和朋友,比全球经济外援的总和(1350亿美元)的三倍还多。这笔钱叫做移民汇款,不仅能显著改善收到钱的那些人的生活,而且对很多国家的经济带来重要影响。经济学家德里普拉舍为我们描述这些“被爱包裹的美金”并分析为什么它们受到现实和条规的阻碍。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据