美国总统奥巴马告别演讲(19)
Sometimes you’ll win. Sometimes you’ll lose.
有时你会成功,有时你将面临失败。
Presuming a reservoir of goodness in other people, that can be a risk, and there will be times when the process will disappoint you.
假定他人总心怀善意是有风险的,有时你会感到失望。
But for those of us fortunate enough to have been a part of this work,
但是对于那些幸运的、得以参与其中一部分工作并见证这些工作得以完成的人来说,
and to see it up close, let me tell you, it can energize and inspire.
他们从中吸取了力量,备受鼓舞。
And more often than not, your faith in America, and in Americans, will be confirmed.
更重要的是,他们对美国、对美国人的信念从中得到了肯定。
Mine sure has been.
我自己对美国及美国人的信念的确也加强了。
Over the course of these eight years, I’ve seen the hopeful faces of young graduates and our newest military officers.
这八年,我看到那么多年轻毕业生和新晋军官洋溢着希望的脸庞。
I have mourned with grieving families searching for answers, and found grace in a Charleston church.
我和心碎的、失落的家庭一同悲伤,我也曾在查尔斯顿教堂中蒙恩(译者注:2015年6月17日,在美国南卡罗莱纳州查尔斯顿的一起重大枪击案。一名白人在当地的一座黑人教堂开枪,造成九人死亡,包括一名议员)。
I’ve seen our scientists help a paralyzed man regain his sense of touch.
我看到我们的科学家帮助一个瘫痪男人重获触感,
I’ve seen wounded warriors who at points were given up for dead walk again.
让受伤的战士恢复行走能力。
I’ve seen our doctors and volunteers rebuild after earthquakes and stop pandemics in their tracks.
我看到地震后我们的医生和志愿者们开展重建工作、遏止流行疾病的蔓延。
I’ve seen the youngest of children remind us through their actions and through their generosity
我看到很小的孩子用行动和宽容给予我们警醒,
of our obligations to care for refugees, or work for peace, and, above all, to look out for each other.
我们身负帮助难民的责任,我们应该为实现和平而努力,最重要的是,我们得爱护彼此。
So that faith that I placed all those years ago, not far from here, in the power of ordinary Americans to bring about change,
过去的几年,我一直相信普通美国人可以带来改变,
that faith has been rewarded in ways I could not have possibly imagined.
这种信念从各个方面使我受益,这在此前是难以预料的。