TED演讲之寻找真理:科学可以回答道德问题(8)

Now, it is the position, generally speaking, of our intellectual community that while we may not like this,

普遍来说,我们的学术界是这样想的,虽然我们不喜欢这样

we might think of this as "wrong" in Boston or Palo Alto,

我们觉得这样是错误的,在波士顿或帕羅奧多

who are we to say that the proud denizens of an ancient culture

但我们怎么能说这些古老文化的骄傲后裔

are wrong to force their wives and daughters to live in cloth bags?

不应该强迫它们的妻子和女儿住在衣袋里?

And who are we to say, even, that they're wrong to beat them with lengths of steel cable,

我们怎么能说,他们是错误的,当他们用钢索痛打她们

or throw battery acid in their faces if they decline the privilege of being smothered in this way?

或是把强酸泼到她们脸上,如果她们拒绝被这样对待?

Well, who are we not to say this?

我们凭什么可以这样说呢?

Who are we to pretend that we know so little about human well-being

我们怎么可以装作我们完全不了解人类的幸福

that we have to be non-judgmental about a practice like this?

或是我们应该对此类行为保持中立?

I'm not talking about voluntary wearing of a veil

我不是在说那些自发性的蒙头

women should be able to wear whatever they want, as far as I'm concerned.

我认为女人应该想穿什么就穿什么

But what does voluntary mean in a community where, when a girl gets raped, her father's first impulse,

但自发性是什么意思?在一个女孩被强暴,他的父亲的第一个反应往往是谋杀她以免羞愧

rather often, is to murder her out of shame?

的这种社会,自发性是什么意思?

Just let that fact detonate in your brain for a minute:

让这些事实在你脑中转一转:

Your daughter gets raped, and what you want to do is kill her.

你的女儿被强暴了,你的反应竟然是杀掉她

What are the chances that represents a peak of human flourishing?

请问你真的觉得这应该是人类幸福的一个可能吗?

演讲简介

几个世纪来,科学被排拒在善恶对错的问题以外。Sam Harris提出科学不但可以,更应当成为道德问题的准则,为人类设立新人道价值,带领我们走向真正的幸福生活。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据