名人演讲 :同性恋与道德的关系(21)
So much of what I've said tonight is based upon my moral convictions, convictions about fairness, convictions about justice.
今晚我在这里探讨了这么多,全部基于我个人的道德信念,我对公平的信念,我对公正的信念。
I think the way gay and lesbian people are treated in our society is wrong, not just irrational, but morally wrong.
我坚信这个社会待同性恋者不公,这种不公正的对待不但不合理,而且在道德上谬以千里。
I think there's something perverted about the fact that we hate people because of whom they love.
这一切如此扭曲:我们恨一群人,仅仅因为他们爱另一群人。
We do violence against people because of the affection that exists in their lives.
我们对一群人施以暴力,仅仅因为他们生命中可贵的情感。
And the effects of that treatment are a far greater moral tragedy than sex between consenting adults could ever be.
这种不公正对待的恶果,比起两个自愿的成年人之间的性关系,对道德的伤害何止千百倍?
And I'm not just talking about the obvious cases-gay bashing, murder of Matthew Shepard-you don't need me to tell you that that's wrong.
而我今天探讨的觉不仅仅是表面上看到的那些具体事例:对同性恋殴打,同志少年马修遭受欺凌后自杀。你并不需要我来教你分辨这些事情的对与错。
I'm talking about all of the people living in silence and in fear, all of the wasted talent and energy that goes to building up walls.
我想说的是那些噤若寒蝉的人,那些活在恐惧中的人,那些为修筑保护自己的高墙而白白浪费的天资和能量。
Why? Because somebody loves in a different way than other people do.
为什么会这样?仅仅因为一些人的爱与别人不同吗?
That's terrible, and I want it to stop.
这种事如此恶劣,我要阻止它。
But, that takes moral conviction.
这需要我有道德上的信念。
You see, morality has a point.
道德有它的道理。
It's about enabling us to flourish as human beings in a society where other people are trying to do the same thing, and that's everybody's concern-conservative, liberal, red state, blue state.
它在于构建这样一种人类社会:在这里我们可以繁荣发展,而其他人也有相同的机会。它是每个人都关注的东西,无论是保守派、自由派、支持共和党的红色州,或支持民主党的蓝色州。
All of us have a responsibility to stand up for morality.
我们大家所以人都有责任站出来为道德呼吁。
So, let me make myself very clear.
我在此清晰明确地表达我的观点:
I am not asking you to stop making moral judgments or to keep your judgments to yourself.
我不是让你不再进行道德判断,也不是让你对自己的道德判断三缄其口。
I'm all about the moral judgments.
我非常拥护人们作出他们的道德判断。
I'm asking you to make sure you have reasons for the moral judgments that you make.
我在此恳请大家,请你们作出道德判断时,务必不可缺少理性的思辨。
I'm asking you to put yourself in people's shoes before you judge them.
我恳请大家在评判别人之前,不妨设身处地,换位思考。
And I'm asking you to judge people not on whom they love but on whether they love.
我恳请大家在评判一个人的时候,着眼之处不再是他爱上了谁,而是他心中是否有爱。
That's my moral vision.
这是我的道德观。
That's my "agenda."
这是我的"行事态度"。
And I thank you for listening to patiently to it tonight.
感谢你们今晚耐心的聆听。
You've been a great audience.
我很荣幸有你们在。
Thank you very much!
谢谢大家!
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。
微信:0012133598196