名人演讲 :同性恋与道德的关系(3)

What about the other side of this contrast? Sexual orientation.

我们接着谈另一个问题:性的取向。

I have a certain sexual orientation.

我有着某种性取向。

What is that?

它是什么呢?

I'm attracted to people of a particular gender. That's true.

我会被某种性别的人吸引,没错。

I'm also attracted to people of a particular age range, body type, personality type, certain kinds of senses of humor.

我同时也会被某个年龄段的人吸引,被某种身材、个性的人吸引,别有着某种特定幽默感的人吸引。

All of these things make up my sexual orientation, broadly understood.

凡此种种,组成了我的性取向。这大家都能理解。

But when we talk about sexual orientation, we focus very narrowly on the gender of people that you're attracted to, and then we divide everyone into these nice, neat categories.

但是当人们谈到性取向的时候,却往往聚焦在非常窄的一点上–吸引你的人的性别,然后人们就把所有人轻松地分了类:

There are heterosexual people, and there are homosexual people.

异性恋和同性恋。

Then there are bisexual people, and they mess up our neat categories!

哎呀,怎么冒出个双性恋来,这不是给我们的分类工作增加难度嘛!

Everywhere I go, people say to me, "I just don't understand bisexuality."

每次我走到什么地方都有人问我:"我搞不懂双性恋这东西?"

Let me take a little time to explain it; it's not a complicated concept, really.

我花点时间解释几句,这不是什么复杂的概念。

Some people are attracted to both men and women.

有些人同时被男人和女人吸引。

That's it!

就这么简单!

It doesn't mean they're attracted to everyone.

这并不意味着他们会见谁爱谁。

That'd be exhausting.

那会累死的。

It doesn't mean they're confused.

这也不意味着他们会搞不清楚自己的情感。

It doesn't mean that gender is not important to them.

也不意味着性别对他们不重要。

It doesn't mean any of those things.

以上都不是。

It just means it's not an overriding factor in what makes people attractive to them.

这仅仅意味着对双性恋来说,吸引他们的人究竟是男是女,并不是个决定性因素。

And I mention this because many of the same problems faced by gay and lesbian people in our society are faced by bisexual people.

我之所以提到这一点,是因为我们社会中的男女同性恋者常常碰到的问题,双性恋者也会碰到。

Bisexual people are not half kicked out of the house or half fired from their jobs or half harassed for being bisexual.

双性恋者不会被"半逐出家门"或者"半解雇",也不会因为性取向而被"半骚扰",他们遭受的对待是相同的。

I'm going to be focusing on homosexuality tonight, but much of what I say can be applied with the appropriate changes to bisexuality.

今晚我主要谈同性恋的话题,但是我今晚谈到的大部分观点,也都适用于双性恋。

Finally, in the years that I've been doing this, a number of people have made the comment, at least in the early years, I started doing this in Texas in the early 90's, and people said to me, "You know, your approach seems so negative.

我的工作始于90年代早期的德克萨斯州。在我多年的工作中,特别是近几年,常会碰到很多人有这样的说法:"你做事的方式似乎有点负面。

You're always talking about the arguments against homosexuality.

你总是讨论那些对同性恋的负面论点。

Why don't you ever give an argument in favor of homosexuality?"

为什么从来没见你提出过支持同性恋的正面论点呢?"

I say, "You know, that's a good idea."

我的回答是:好主意!

So, I want to start with a kind of preliminary argument in favor of homosexuality.

那我就从一个最基础的支持同性恋的论点开始说起。

Preliminary argument, there's a lot more to be said, but, in a way, the preliminary argument is quite simple:

只是个基本的论点,要说的很多,不过某种程度上说,这个基本的论点也很简单:

Homosexual relationships make some people happy.

同性恋情感关系能让一部分人幸福。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据