米歇尔·奥巴马2015塔斯基吉大学毕业演讲(14)
And you don’t have to be President of the United States to start addressing things like poverty, and education, and lack of opportunity.
你不必像美国总统那样一开始就解决贫困、教育、机会缺乏等这类问题。
Graduates, today — today, you can mentor a young person and make sure he or she takes the right path.
毕业生们,今天,你就可以成为一个年轻人的精神导师,确保他或她走在正确的道路上。
Today, you can volunteer at an after-school program or food pantry.
今天,你就可以在课外活动中或者食品分发处做志愿者。
Today, you can help your younger cousin fill out her college financial aid form
今天,你就可以帮助你的表妹填写大学资助申请表,
so that she could be sitting in those chairs one day.
以便有一天她能坐在那些椅子上。
But just like all those folks who came before us,
就像为我们铺路的前人一样,
you’ve got to do something to lay the groundwork for future generations.
你们也要为子孙后代的未来奠定基础。
That pilot I mentioned earlier — Charles DeBow — he didn’t rest on his laurels after making history.
我前面提到的那个飞行员查尔斯·德鲍,在创造了历史之后,并没有在荣誉面前止步。
Instead, after he left the Army, he finished his education.
他离开军队后,完成了自己的学业。
He became a high school English teacher and a college lecturer.
他成为了一名高中英语教师和大学讲师。
He kept lifting other folks up through education.
他通过教育不断地去激励他人。
He kept fulfilling his “double duty” long after he hung up his uniform.
在脱下制服之后,他依然履行着自己肩负的双重责任。
And, graduates, that’s what we need from all of you.
毕业生们,这是需要你们每个人去做的。
We need you to channel the magic of Tuskegee toward the challenges of today.
我们需要你们将塔斯基吉的魔力引向今天所面临的挑战。
And here’s what I really want you to know — you have got everything you need to do this.
这就是我真正想让你们明白的一点,你们有能力去完成。
You’ve got it in you. Because even if you’re nervous or unsure about what path to take in the years ahead,
你们有这个能力。即使你感到紧张或者不确定未来几年的路途,
I want you to realize that you’ve got everything you need right now to succeed. You’ve got it.
我想让你意识到你现在拥有成功所需的一切。你们拥有的。
米歇尔·奥巴马2015塔斯基吉大学毕业演讲。