双语美文之似水流年 (28)月升魅无穷(5)
In moonlight we become less calculating, more drawn to our feelings.
我们在月光下也不再像白日那般精于算计,而是更加沉醉在自己的情感中。
And odd things happen in such moments.
这种时候总会发生奇特的事情。
On that July night, I watched the moon for an hour or two, and then I got back into the car, turned the key in the ignition and heard the engine start, just as mysteriously as it had stalled a few hours earlier.
在那个七月的夜晚,我欣赏了一两个小时的月景后,回到车里,转动钥匙点火,听到发动机居然响了起来,就像几个小时前它熄火时那样神秘而突然。
I drove down from the mountains with the moon on my shoulder and peace in my heart.
我身披月光,内心平静,驱车下山回家。
I often return to watch the rising moon.
我经常回到山上看月出。
I feel drawn to it, especially when events crowd ease and clarity of vision into a small corner of my life.
我沉醉其中,尤其是当接踵而来的事情使我身心疲惫、判断失准的时候。
This happens often in the fall.
这种情况经常发生在秋天。
Then I go to my hill and wait the hunter’s moon, enormous and gold over the horizon, filling the night with vision.
这时我就登上那座小山,等待猎人的月亮出现,等着那金黄巨大的圆月跃出地平线,为黑夜带来光明。
An owl swoops from the ridge top, noiseless but bright as flame.
一只猫头鹰从山顶俯冲下来,悄无声息地如一道火焰闪过。
彼得·斯坦哈特
美国自然主义作家、艺术家,曾连续12年担任美国《奥杜邦杂志》(Audubon Magazine)的编辑和专栏作家。该杂志是美国国内影响力极大的群众性环保组织—奥杜邦协会出版发行的一份杂志,该协会致力于促进鸟类学研究。彼得·斯坦哈特的文章多次出现在《纽约时报》(the New York Times)和《洛杉矶时报》(the Los Angeles Times)等多家报刊杂志上。他还曾两次入围美国国家杂志奖(National Magazine Award)。他的散文优美清新,给人以美的享受。至今,他已出版了多本书籍,其中有The Company of Wolves、Undressed Art: Why We Draw等。目前他居住在美国加利福尼亚州西部的帕拉托(Palo Alto)市,在写作的同时还从事绘画创作。
1.restore 归还;交还;使恢复
You can also restore default modifier key settings.
您也可以恢复默认修饰键设置。
With whom do you need to restore fellowship?
在有谁你需要去修复关系?
2.misty 多雾的,被雾笼罩的;模糊的
Try to capture a glowing misty morning, making for stunning and ethereal fall scenes.
尝试去捕捉容光焕发的雾蒙蒙的清晨,拍出美丽缥缈的秋日风景。
All the lamps were soft and misty and made a very tiny circle of light.
所有的落地灯都只有一小圈柔和模糊的光。
3.ridge n.背脊,峰,隆起线;山脊,山脉
How fast is the new supercomputer at oak ridge national laboratory?
橡树岭国家实验室的新一代超级计算机到底有多快?
The idea inspired two other schools on the pine ridge reservation to publish their own papers.
这个想法启发了松树岭保留地的另两所学校也发行自己的报纸。
4.shrill 尖叫
Neither the shrill nor the sanguine arguments can be dismissed out of hand.
不论是尖锐的或者是乐观的言论都不能直接予以驳斥。
What is new is that they are gaining traction beyond a shrill nativist minority.
新鲜的是他们获得的支持不再局限于少数尖锐的本土主义者。