总统就职演说:美国43任总统乔治·布什第一次就职演讲(2)

And even after nearly 225 years, we have a long way yet to travel.

225年过去了,我们仍有很长的路要走。

While many of our citizens prosper, others doubt the promise, even the justice, of our own country.

有很多公民取得了成功,但也有人开始怀疑,怀疑我们自己的国家所许下的诺言,甚至怀疑它的公正。

The ambitions of some Americans are limited by failing schools and hidden prejudice and the circumstances of their birth.

失败的教育,潜在的偏见和出身的环境限制了一些美国人的雄心。

And sometimes our differences run so deep, it seems we share a continent, but not a country.

有时,我们的分歧是如此之深,似乎我们虽身处同一个大陆,但不属于同一个国家。

We do not accept this, and we will not allow it.

我们不能接受这种分歧,也无法容许它的存在。

Our unity, our union, is the serious work of leaders and citizens in every generation.

我们的团结和统一,是每一代领导人和每一个公民的严肃使命。

And this is my solemn pledge: I will work to build a single nation of justice and opportunity.

在此,我郑重宣誓:我将竭力建设一个公正、充满机会的统一国家。

I know this is in our reach because we are guided by a power larger than ourselves who creates us equal in his image.

我知道这是我们的目标,因为上帝按自己的身形创造了我们,上帝高于一切的力量将引导我们前进。

And we are confident in principles that unite and lead us onward.

对这些将我们团结起来并指引我们向前的原则,我们充满信心。

America has never been united by blood or birth or soil.

血缘、出身或地域从未将美国联合起来。

We are bound by ideals that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests and teach us what it means to be citizens.

只有理想,才能使我们心系一处,超越自己,放弃个人利益,并逐步领会何谓公民。

Every child must be taught these principles. Every citizen must uphold them.

每个孩子都必须学习这些原则。每个公民都必须坚持这些原则。

And every immigrant, by embracing these ideals, makes our country more, not less, American.

每个移民,只有接受这些原则,才能使我们的国家不丧失而更具美国特色今天。

Today we affirm a new commitment to live out our nation's promise through civility, courage, compassion, and character.

我们在这里重申一个新的信念,即通过发扬谦恭、勇气、同情心和个性的精神来实现我们国家的理想。

America, at its best, matches a commitment to principle with a concern for civility.

美国在它最鼎盛时也没忘记遵循谦逊有礼的原则。

乔治·沃克·布什(别名“小布什”),1946年7月6日,出生于美国康涅狄格州。于1995年-2000年间担任第46任的德克萨斯州州长。于2001年-2009年担任美国第43任(第54-55届)总统,任内遭遇了2001年的9·11事件,随后于2001年-2003年先后发动阿富汗战争、伊拉克战争等一系列反恐战争并取得较大成效,推行了1.3万亿元的减税计划、以及对于医疗保险和社会福利体制的改革和社会保守主义的政策。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据