总统就职演说:美国32任总统富兰克林·罗斯福第二次就职演讲(3)

The legend that they were invincible—above and beyond the processes of a democracy—has been shattered.

所谓它们不可战胜——凌驾于民主程序之上面又超脱于民主程序之外——这个神话已经被粉碎,

They have been challenged and beaten.

它们遭到了挑战,并且已经被击败。

Our progress out of the depression is obvious.

我们摆脱萧条所取得的进步是显而易见的。

But that is not all that you and I mean by the new order of things.

但是,那还不是你们和我所说的事物新秩序的全部,

Our pledge was not merely to do a patchwork job with secondhand materials.

我们的誓言并非仅仅用旧材料做些修补工作。

By using the new materials of social justice we have undertaken to erect on the old foundations a more enduring structure for the better use of future generations.

我们已经在用社会公正这种新材料,开始从原有基础上建立更持久的结构,以便未来几代人更好地利用。

In that purpose we have been helped by achievements of mind and spirit.

在这方面,我们已经得益于思想和精神上所取得的成就。

Old truths have been relearned; untruths have been unlearned.

古老的真理得到了重温;假话虚话遭到了抛弃。

We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics.

我们一直知道,无动于衷的自私自利是不道德的,我们现在还知道,它是不利于经济的。

Out of the collapse of a prosperity whose builders boasted their practicality has come the conviction that in the long run economic morality pays.

经济繁荣的建筑师们曾自诩符合实际,但随着繁荣的破灭,人们都已经深信,从长远来看经济道德会带来效益。

We are beginning to wipe out the line that divides the practical from the ideal;

我们正在开始消除实际与理想之间的界线;

and in so doing we are fashioning an instrument of unimagined power for the establishment of a morally better world.

通过这种做法,我们正在为建立道德更高尚的世界,制作一件力大无比的工具。

This new understanding undermines the old admiration of worldly success as such.

这种新的认识,打破了以追名逐利为荣的传统观念。

We are beginning to abandon our tolerance of the abuse of power by those who betray for profit the elementary decencies of life.

我们开始不再容忍某些人滥用权力,这些人为了利润而背弃了起码的生活准则。

In this process evil things formerly accepted will not be so easily condoned.

在这个过程中,以前得到认可的歪风邪气不会那么轻易地得到宽恕,

Hard-headedness will not so easily excuse hardheartedness.

冷静的头脑下会那么轻易地原谅冷酷的心肝。

We are moving toward an era of good feeling.

我们正在走向一个好心肠时代

But we realize that there can be no era of good feeling save among men of good will.

但是,我们认识到,除非在有善良愿望的人之间,是不可能存在好心肠时代的。

For these reasons I am justified in believing that the greatest change we have witnessed has been the change in the moral climate of America.

出于这些原因,我理所当然地认为,我们所目睹的最重大变化就是美国道德风尚的变化。

富兰克林·德拉诺·罗斯福(英语:Franklin D.Roosevelt,1882年1月30日-1945年4月12日),史称“小罗斯福”,美国第32任总统,美国历史上唯一连任超过两届(连任四届,病逝于第四届任期中)的总统,美国迄今为止在任时间最长的总统。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据